Newcomer franchisee Refilwe Molokomme shares why she chose Pharmacy at SPAR

Refilwe Molokomme
Owner of the Pharmacy at SPAR Nelspruit franchise, Refilwe Molokomme, grew up in the village of Ga-Monene in the Mokopane and Bakenberg areas of Limpopo. After completing a B. Pharm. degree at what is today known as the University of Limpopo, Refilwe rounded out her qualifications by also completing a 1-year Business Management Certificate through the University of Potchefstroom and obtaining a Postgraduate Certificate in Strategic Management through Unisa. In addition, she is currently studying towards her Pharmacotherapy qualification through North-West University.

Before setting out on her own, Refilwe paid her dues working as a pharmacist in public and private hospitals as well as community and corporate pharmacies. It was her role as the Responsible Pharmacist (RP) at one of the corporate pharmacies, and her involvement in getting the store up and running, that motived her to set out on her own. We spoke to her to find out about her experience as a Pharmacy at SPAR franchisee.

Who or what was it that inspired you to want to be your own boss?
With the pressure of having to provide for extended family I was always ‘doing something on the side’, whether it was selling perfumes, cosmetics or Tupperware. Being involved in starting and managing a pharmacy made me realise that I could do it on my own and with the encouragement from colleagues who had already opened their own pharmacies, I decided to go for it.

Why Pharmacy at SPAR?
Boosted by the type of optimism reserved for the inexperienced, I actually started my own independent pharmacy, but it did not take long for the reality of what it means to be an independent competing with ‘big business’ to set in. After speaking to colleagues in the trade, I decided to apply to SPAR to join their pharmacy franchise.

What assistance did you receive from the franchisor?
Having had a go at establishing an independent store before joining Pharmacy at SPAR, I can personally attest to the fact that the training and support I received was definitely one of the upsides of belonging to a franchise brand. The training prepared me to run the business effectively and efficiently, it taught me the importance of discipline, the detrimental impact on resorting to shortcuts, and gave me the confidence to tackle any challenges.

The franchisor also assisted with the lease negotiations as well as the design, layout, and shop fitting of the store. They also lent a hand with the licence application at the Department of Health and with completing my registration with the Pharmacy Council. The opening procedures checklist they prepared helped to ensure that we were ready for the opening. Generally speaking, they have been there for me every step of the way.

Is the reality of being a franchisee different to what you expected?

As I am sure is often the case, I was concerned that by signing on as a franchisee I would in effect be signing over control of my business to the franchisor. Instead, what I have encountered is a franchisor who is helpful and supportive, and partnering with SPAR has been a pleasant experience.

What is your staff complement?
Including myself we are currently a team of nine, but if everything goes according to plan the final tally should be about 11.

What would your advice be to other aspiring business owners?
Stay positive, motivated and passionate. Discipline is also extremely important. Work on your entrepreneurial skills and consult with professionals or coaches and mentors where and when needed. Embrace the journey with its ups and downs as it’s always life-changing.

MORE ABOUT PHARMACY AT SPAR
SPAR as a company has always prioritised caring as a core attribute and their family-oriented approach has established them as one of South Africa’s most trusted brands. Driven by their commitment to providing care and convenience, the Pharmacy at SPAR concept was a logical next step in the evolution of the SPAR brand. The Pharmacy at SPAR offering complements their care-centric approach by providing quality medicines and products to care for the whole family.

Comments