From customer to franchisee: Behind the new Cash Converters in Hermanus

Rudolph du Toit and his team
Rudolph du Toit became so enthusiastic about shopping at Cash Converters that he bought a franchise, opening the first shop in the group in Hermanus on 8 December 2017. “I love second-hand goods and I thought it would be great to have my own shop,” he says. “I love the Cash Converters franchise model. I believe it is a perfect match for me.”

Rudolph is originally from Paarl. Having qualified as a winemaker, he has since spent his working life so far in marketing with SFW and Distell. He moved to Onrus in November.
“I am keen to put down new, long-term roots in Hermanus,” Du Toit says. “I have been coming to Hermanus for years on holiday and I already know that this is where I should like to retire.”

Before that happens, Du Toit is keen to build his franchise and already plans to expand his start-up staff from seven to 10 in the New Year. “I feel the potential for a Cash Converters is definitely here and so is the mix of customers,” he says. “I love the company’s concept and the fact that it is part of an international group. This is my first experience of the business side of franchising so I thought it would be great to be supported by all the help that the company head office offers.

“It is a big learning curve but the training I have had so far has helped me tremendously. I am already enjoying working with my customers and I hope they will enjoy shopping at a store where all the staff are successful and happy.”

The Cash Converters franchising model includes a three-for-one income stream – dealing in second-hand goods, pawnbroking and micro loans. This offers newcomers such as Du Toit the opportunity to build a strong, expanding business quickly, believes Group Chief Executive Officer Richard Mukheibir, while the well-developed franchisee support offered by the company’s model helps steer them away from common start-up pitfalls.

“We are delighted that Rudolph has decided to move from customer to franchise and consolidate his relationship with the Cash Converters family,” he says. “He has personally made a big commitment and we are sure that our systems support and ongoing training will enable him as a new business owner to grow his existing business skills and investment within our supportive and professional environment.”

Comments