Matrix Warehouse Parow shaping the future of IT in the Western Cape


Project funded by the Jobs Fund and administered by Business Partners

Dale February is the proud owner of the brand new Matrix Warehouse Parow store.


Chenelle Stander, Desmond Mareya,
Velindie February & Dale February
THE PERSONAL BYTE 

Growing up in Atlantis in the Western Cape with an older brother and sister for company, Dale completed his Matric at Saxonsea Secondary school. With no means to further his studies he started working in a factory and eventually worked his way up to a position at the IT helpdesk with Metcash (Metro Cash & Carry). Dale studied part time to obtain his A+ and N+ qualifications and during his 20 year tenure in the corporate IT field he worked for Cargill RSA as Senior IT Technician and Service Desk Supervisor for the Sub-Saharan Africa Region. 

Married to his wife of three years, whom he calls "the most gorgeous, jaw-dropping woman in our galaxy", Dale is also the proud father of three kids of aged 15, eight and two. He also points out that his wife has been his Monoicosebyte (and he encourages you to Google the meaning) pillar of strength through the roller coaster ride of making the decision to follow his dream of business ownership. 
(PS: 1 monoicosebyte = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes)

THE BUSINESS BYTE 

Q: Is being your own boss something you always aspired too and who/what motivated you to want to own your own business? 
A: Not when I was young and naive, but when I started working for a boss in the corporate environment I made it my goal to one day run my own business. My greatest motivation was firstly my DDG (drop dead gorgeous per the urban dictionary) wife and then my ex-boss. Trough him I realized that there is a big difference between being a boss and being a manager. I prefer to be known as the manager or the store owner — not the boss.

Q: How many other businesses did you consider before deciding on Matrix Warehouse and what tipped the scales in their favour?
A: None other, Matrix Warehouse was it. The IT business and customer service is my area of experience and the quality of customer service I received from them, is what I am used to giving. Their excellent quality just 'gelled' with me.

Q: Tell us about your dealings with SA Franchise Warehouse and how you experienced the funding application process.
A: The process was very user-friendly and easy. The training was quick but thorough and provided me a proper foundation to build on. The people I dealt with are awesome and the process is well laid out. 

Q: Did you apply for funding elsewhere? Tell us about your experiences.
A: Yes, at the banks. They were very impersonal and their rates were higher than SA Franchise Warehouse was able to secure. With the commercial banks I felt like just another number.

Q: How much capital did you have to invest in your business and how did you accumulate it?
A: After resigning from my job I received a pension payout and I invested about R200,000 of this in my own business.

Q: Do you have other shareholders and who are they?
A: On record I am the owner and sole shareholder, but we all know who owns the owner in a marriage... as the saying goes "Happy wife, happy life!"

Q: How has the training and support you received from the franchisor and from SA Franchise Warehouse prepared you to manage the business?
A: Starting out I did not know much about running a business, but after completing the required training I felt confident that I could make a success of this venture. The franchisor has been incredibly supportive and I could not have established such a business without guidance from the franchisor.

Q: Is the reality of being a franchisee different to what you expected?
A: Not really, it is just a lot of hard work and I need to keep a very close eye on everything in the store all the time. It is not easy, but it is rewarding to look back and to see the fruit of my labour.

Q: What is your current staff complement and how many staff will you ultimately employ?
A: I currently employ three staff members, but I am also looking for another technician and a cleaner/pamphlet person.

Q: What are your plans for the future?
A: First I would like to repay my business loan, as soon as possible and then I hope to expand my business by opening two or three more branches in the next five years.

Comments